You are here

If you want refund, donate to candidates who support our work by Dec. 31

MAPE members are encouraged to use the Minnesota Political Contribution Refund (PCR) program to contribute to candidates who support MAPE and the work we do by Dec. 31, 2017.

The program allows individuals who contribute $50 to eligible state candidates or political parties to receive a $50 reimbursement from the state. The program is intended to encourage small contributions to candidates and thereby reduce the influence of large donations in our political process.

Here is how it works:

  1. Make a $50 contribution to an eligible candidate or political party. Most candidates for Minnesota Legislature and statewide constitutional offices are eligible if they have signed a public subsidy agreement. Candidates for federal (i.e., Congress) or local offices are not eligible. If you want to know if the candidate you’re donating to participates in the program, confirm that with the candidate before making the contribution.

  2. The receiving entity should issue a receipt. If you do not receive a receipt, follow up and request it. You cannot receive your refund without a receipt. A political contribution refund form political contribution refund form is available from the Department of Revenue. You may also fill out and submit your PCR form electronically.

  3. Mail the completed form and the receipt to the Department of Revenue.

  4. Expect your $50 refund in four to six weeks.

Other facts:

  • Your legislator’s vote scores can be found here: 2017 legislator vote scores.
  • Refunds may not be given for any contribution received prior to July 1, 2017. The date of receipt is the day the candidate, committee, or party unit receives the contribution; not the deposit date.
  • Contributions can be made to major and minor party units and candidates who have a signed public subsidy agreement on file with the Minnesota Campaign Finance Board.
  • Amount of the refund is $50 per person per calendar year or $100 for a married couple filing a joint refund request form.
  • Candidate or the candidate's committee may not issue a political contribution refund receipt if the candidate did not have a signed public subsidy agreement on file with the Board at the time the contribution was received. The Board and the Department of Revenue will not honor refund requests for contributions given prior to the candidate's filing of the public subsidy agreement.

For additional information, go here: Dept. of Revenue 2017 PCR info Dept. of Revenue 2017 PCR info.