Local 501 Meeting Minutes
Thursday, April 4, 2013, 12:00 pm; Minnesota Room, DEED, St. Paul, MN
Attendance:Local 501 Officers – Gary Johnson, President – Excused; Tyrone Plunkett,Vice President; Tom Kempe, Treasurer; Carrie Gott, Secretary- Excused; Region 5 Officials – Carrie Wasley, Director; Carol Walsh, Negotiations Rep; Ted Sitz, Chief Steward; Dan Englehart, MAPE Business Agent
1. President’s Report– Call to Order - Vice President Tyrone Plunkett called the meeting to order at 12:02 pm.
2. Negotiations Rep– Carol Walsh – The Negotiations Team worked on new language proposals in preparation for the opening round of negotiations with the governor’s team. On Thursday, the team spent part of their day at the Capitol to help with MAPE’s Day on the Hill. The team learned that the governor’s chief negotiator for state contracts, Barbara Holmes, recently resigned to take another position with MnDOT. The Negotiations Team is meeting April 17th & 18th. The first meeting with the governor’s Team will be April 18th. Minnesota Compensation Council Recommends Salary Increases: The Minnesota Compensation Council is part of the State Legislative Coordinating Commission. State law has established a compensation council to meet in the even-numbered years to make recommendations to the Legislature regarding salaries of judges, constitutional officers and legislators. The Minnesota Compensation Council approved a plan for pay raises for future governors, lawmakers, state agency commissioners and judges starting in 2015 (Star Tribune, Mar 11, 2013). Proposed pay increases are recommendations that would need both legislative ratification and the governor’s signature to go into effect. If approved, here’s what would happen: Judges and justices would get a four percent increase in each of the next four years. The governor’s salary, currently at $120,303 would get a 3 percent increase in both 2015 and 2016. It has been unchanged since 1998. Legislators’ pay would be set at 33 percent of the governor’s salary. Currently at $31,140, their salaries would increase to $40,890 in 2015. This would be the first increase since 1999. Most large state agency heads currently make 95 percent of the governor’s salary, while smaller agencies make closer to 85 percent. The new recommendation would allow some agency heads to make up to 133 percent of the governor’s salary. There would also be other changes to allow more flexibility in salary payments. MAPE leadership supports the compensation council’s recommendations as there has been compression of state salaries, including many MAPE members for over a decade. Minnesota is the only state in the nation with a salary cap. As the salary cap is lifted, it’s seen as a beneficial move for MAPE members and will help move MAPE salaries forward during negotiations. The Compensation Council’s report is available online at www.lcc.leg.mn/compcouncil/recommendations/2013recs.pdf. If you have questions or concerns, contact MAPE Executive Director Dan Holub at email@example.com
3. Director’s Report– Regional Director, Carrie Wasley - Board of Directors’ actions from the March 15, 2013 Board meeting (view minutes).
4. Treasurer’s Report– Local 501 Treasurer, Tom Kempe– As of February 28, 2013 our standing is as follows: Our income from dues (648 total - 388 members & 260 fee payers) was $1,143.56. Our expenses for the same period were $482.12. We had an ending balance of $661.44. In the interim, we have had additional expenses totaling $535.49 ($509.08 meeting lunch / $26.41 member goodwill).
5. Chief Steward/Business Agent Reports– Chief Steward, Ted Sitz– There are currently 10 grievances pending. Steward training is May 21, 2013, email Kris Henry at MAPE central (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested. We have 3 stewards going to anti-bullying training. We will not be getting $250.00 on our Eide-BaillyBenefits card this year, there is no surplus in the SEGIP Fund.
6. BA – Dan Engelhart – There is currently one BA position open at MAPE central. If you have a grievance, please see a steward. Our new executive director is very committed to membership.
7. Old Business – 3/7/13 – M/S/P. Union is all of us. DPS will have new employee orientation.
8. New Business – None presented.
9. Good & Welfare –DPS will have new employee orientation.
10. Meeting adjourned
Next Meeting: May 2, 2013 at Noon in the Minnesota Room at DEED.
Secretary, MAPE Local 501